Friday, January 7, 2011

Back On the Ould Sod...

Apologies for the lack of blogging recently. Your web host has been in London, and I've just recently got back to Ireland. While I was in the Great Wen I attended Epiphany Mass in Westminster Cathedral, which I'd never been in before.

It was a moving experience. There is much talk about multiculturalism these days, but I don't think I've ever seen as much genuine multiculturalism as I saw in that congregation. (In fact, the first Scripture reading was in German, which I understand is the practice in the cathedral.) But of course there were plenty of English people there, and plenty of young English people too; the cathedral was packed. Methinks the death of Christian England has been greatly exaggerated.

I was especially interested to note, in the Irish chapel, that Saint Oliver Plunkett was in fact the last martyr for the Catholic faith in England-- something I hadn't realised.

Meanwhile, the next meeting of the Irish Chesterton Society will be a week from tomorrow, at two o' clock on the fifteenth of January, in the Central Catholic Library, Merrion Square, Dublin. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment